We’ve recently taken a few hiatuses due to US holidays (Memorial Day and the 4th of July), which brought to mind the idea that despite our efforts at better global awareness and participation, both this blog and the Society for Scholarly Publishing are based in America. What that implies may depend on where you are located, as different countries call all sorts of different things, “American” as shown in the video below.

David Crotty

David Crotty

David Crotty is a Senior Consultant at Clarke & Esposito, a boutique management consulting firm focused on strategic issues related to professional and academic publishing and information services. Previously, David was the Editorial Director, Journals Policy for Oxford University Press. He oversaw journal policy across OUP’s journals program, drove technological innovation, and served as an information officer. David acquired and managed a suite of research society-owned journals with OUP, and before that was the Executive Editor for Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, where he created and edited new science books and journals, along with serving as a journal Editor-in-Chief. He has served on the Board of Directors for the STM Association, the Society for Scholarly Publishing and CHOR, Inc., as well as The AAP-PSP Executive Council. David received his PhD in Genetics from Columbia University and did developmental neuroscience research at Caltech before moving from the bench to publishing.


3 Thoughts on "Things Called “American” in Different Countries"

In Germany, Thousand Island dressing is called “American dressing.”

In Israel, soft serve icecream is called American icecream, and multiple choice tests are called American tests

Comments are closed.